Recipe : Rusks perfect for dunking
Few things are more South African than a Rusk or Beskuit. Dunking rusks into coffee or tea is basically a South African pastime, a morning ritual for some.
I have so many memories of waking up to the smell of rusks baking in the kitchen.
I love coffee! I cant - wont, start the day without coffee. Plastic instant coffee isn't an option , I mean real coffee with roasted beans that have been ground. My coffee plunger has been working over time recently with the cold weather we are experiencing.
You know what goes well with coffee? Rusks !
Recently my Mother-In -Law was going through her family recipe book and found a beskuit recipe that her mom used to make. So I thought I would make a batch with the Amasi I received from Fair Cape Dairies. Amasi can be used as a Butter Milk substitute.
This recipe makes a large tray.
1/2 cup Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1 cup Sugar
250g Margarine / Butter (melted) - I use butter
2 cups Fair Cape Dairies Amasi or Buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 175 Degrees Celsius.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
3. Mix all the ingredients together.
4. Pour batter into the lined baking tray
5. Bake at 175 Degrees Celsius for +- 45 minutes.
6. Once the Rusks looked like they are cooked through. Open the oven door a bit, put a cloth or oven mitt in the door to keep it a jar. This will allow moisture to leave the oven and dry out the rusks. Put the oven on a lower temperature . I left them like this for an hour.
7. Cut the rusks into rectangular shapes. A shape that will be easy to dunk into coffee.
8. The rusks may take a bit longer to dry out properly. Dont put them in a air tight container yet, they will go soggy. Best to keep them airing until they have dried through.this can take upto 6 days.
What is Amasi?
Amasi for the non-South African.
Amasi is fermented milk that tastes like cottage cheese or plain yogurt and has a distinct sour taste.
Happy dunking !
Want to know more about Fair Cape Dairies, visit their website: www.faircape.com
Note : The Fair Cape Dairies Amasi was sponsored as part of a Trade Exchange.
#ruskrecipe #beskuit #easyrecipe #bakingforbeginners #recipe #momblogger #samomblogger #foodblogger #cookingwithFairCapeDairies